Organization: World Learning
Country: United States of America
Closing date: 30 Jul 2013
World Learning is seeking candidates for a Senior Program Associate, Iraq Science Fellowship Program (ISFP). World Learning is an 80-year-old global non-profit organization with operations in 77 countries. Through its award-winning international education programs – The Experiment in International Living (EIL), the SIT Graduate Institute, SIT Study Abroad and the International Honors Program (IHP) – World Learning fosters global citizenship by connecting over 3,000 young ambassadors annually across cultural differences and social barriers. Through its International Development & Exchange Programs, World Learning practices what it teaches, undertaking community-driven international development, training and exchange projects in sixteen countries. For more information visit www.worldlearning.org
Position Title: Senior Program Associate, Iraq Science Fellowship Program (ISFP)
Reports To: Program Officer, ISFP, Professional Skills team, ETU
Location: Washington, DC
Duration: August-December 2013 (position extended upon renewal of grant)
World Learning is a sub-contractor to the US Civilian Research and Development Foundation (CRDF) to provide logistics and monitoring support to their US Department of State funded Iraq Science Fellowship Program (ISFP). ISFP participants are professors of science or engineering, who engage in 3-6 month long research fellowships at US universities.
The Senior Program Associate will be integral to the implementation of the Iraq Science Fellowship Program by providing logistical support for 13 Fellows beginning with their pre-departure from Iraq, throughout their stay in the U.S. and concluding with their return back to Iraq.
• Monitor Fellows’ progress at their host institutions;
• Establish and maintain email and telephone communication with each Fellow to monitor their progress and act as liaison for questions and problems;
• Prepare DS-2019 forms for program participants, working in collaboration with partner and/or Department of State;
• Arrange Pre-Departure, Orientation, and Re-Entry for Fellows;
• Prepare materials for the pre-departure and orientation workshops;
• Implement program logistics (air and ground travel/hotels/meeting space);
• Secure housing for Fellows in their respective host cities;
• Arrange Fellows’ Supplemental Activities during their Fellowship;
• Use social networking tools to communicate with Fellows and Alumni;
• Distribute monthly stipends and facilitate payment of supplemental Fellowship activities;
• Counsel Fellows on issues pertaining to housing; transportation; healthcare and insurance; travel; financial and legal issues; and personal emergencies;
• Work with Field Staff;
• Budget and track workshop costs, working closely with Finance Department;
• Reconcile disbursement of project funds in complete and timely compliance with Finance Department requirements and guidelines; request checks for vendors;
• Ensure that tax documentation is filed in accordance with IRS regulations;
• Assist Officer in grant management, creating and standardizing procedures and materials to support Fellows and maintain grant;
• Communicate regularly with funder;
• Contribute to monthly/quarterly status reports to funder;
• Contribute to proposal to renew contract;
• Maintain comprehensive files; and
• Perform other duties as required or assigned.
• Bachelor’s Degree and three years of related work experience or Master’s Degree plus one year of related work experience;
• Proven cross-cultural and communications skills;
• Middle East or other international experience;
• Office work experience and strong computer skills, including Excel, Power Point, and Publisher;
• Energetic and strong team player;
• Detail oriented with excellent organizational ability;
• Ability to take initiative and be flexible;
• Experience with international exchange programs, project management, or event management;
• Arabic language proficiency desirable.
How to apply:
To apply: Please visit our website www.worldlearning.org and click on the employment tab to submit your application. If you do not see the job you are interested in, please “search all.” Please note, a resume and cover letter are required when applying to this position. Application deadline is 5pm on July 30th, 2013.
World Learning is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer, committed to increasing the diversity of its workforce.